Bulgur Wheat Salad with Honey Crisp Apples, Toasted Almonds & Sun-dried CranberriesPosted: Updated:
1 cup bulgur wheat
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 each onion, diced
1 tsp. thyme leaves, chopped
1 recipe apple cider vinaigrette (recipe follows)
½ cup sun-dried cranberries
2 each apples (we like honey crisp when available), diced
To taste Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
¼ lb spinach
¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
1. Cook the bulgur wheat with two cups of water in a rice cooker (or in a 2 qt. saucepan if cooking on the stovetop).
2. Heat a sauté pan over medium high heat and add the olive oil and onion. Cook until the onion begins to caramelize then add the thyme; season with salt and pepper and cook a few minutes longer.
3. Transfer the cooked bulgur wheat to a large mixing bowl, add the onions and toss to separate any clumps and work in the onions. Add the cranberries and diced apple and toss with some of the Apple Cider Vinaigrette; season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Arrange on top of the spinach and drizzle with a little more of the vinaigrette. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds and serve.
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
Yield: approx. 1/3 cup
1 small Shallot, chopped
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp. olive oil
to taste Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine shallot, mustard and vinegar in a mixing bowl, mix well. Whisk in the oil & taste for seasoning.
Yield: 4 servings