Family still searching for Tucson woman after nearly a year

Posted: Updated:

TUCSON, Ariz. -- A local woman vanishes and nearly a year later, the family still doesn't have answers.

Relatives of Adela Guzman-Mendoza made another push for the public's help in locating their loved one who hasn't been seen since September 20 of last year.

"It's hard, that's all I can say.  It's hard because you don't know what happened," said Adela's daughter-in-law Amanda Gastello.

Amanda Gastello can hardly hold back tears as she remembers her last moments with her mother-in-law, 46-year-old Adela Guzman-Mendoza.

"Wakes up on Sundays and she puts her music on and she cleans her room she washes just like a normal Sunday," said Gastello.

Investigators say, the next morning, the mother of two went to work at the Mountain Oyster Club around 8:00 and left sick at 8:30.  It was the last time anyone saw her.

"She had to take two buses to get from work back to home," said Det. Kurt Dabb.

Missing persons Detective Kurt Dabb says that lead fell flat.

"The cameras that were on the bus were not working due to the fact they were removed for a TPD investigation so there was no evidence of her being on the buses," said Det. Dabb.

Investigators believe Adela ended up somewhere near home.  Her cell phone was pinging off a tower just a few blocks away near Curtis and Kain.

It was an incoming phone call from her family. 

A search of the area revealed no phone and no Adela.

"She would always call somebody when she got home or I was always there," said Gastello.

The family is fraught with grief and uncertainty, but they believe they will one day be reunited.

"If you lose your hope then it all goes down from there, we just want her to be okay," said Gastello.

Investigators say they don't have any reason to suspect foul play, but now that they're a year in, they don't have much to go on.

Anyone with information about the disappearance of Adela Guzman-Mendoza is asked to call 911 or 88-CRIME.