Hummus Bi TahiniPosted: Updated:
1 cup chick peas
3 cups water
1/3 cup tahini
½ cup lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin olive oil
1. Wash chick peas, and cover with the water to soak for 12 hours, or overnight.
2. Bring to a boil in the water in which they were soaked. Boil gently for 2 hours, add 1 teaspoon salt and cook until very tender, about 3 hours in all. Drain and reserve some of the cooking liquid.
3. Press peas though a food mill, adding about 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid.
4. Slowly blend the tahini and most of the lemon juice into the puree.
5. Crush garlic with ½ teaspoon salt in a mortar and add to puree. Adjust flavor and consistency with lemon juice, cooking liquid, and salt, if necessary.
6. Spread in a shallow serving dish, swirling it with back of a spoon. Pour olive oil into center and sprinkle with parsley.
7. Serve with warmed pita bread