Teen loses fingers in lawnmower accident in San Tan Valley

Posted: Updated:

SAN TAN VALLEY, Ariz. – Surgeons at Phoenix Children’s Hospital were unsuccessful at trying to reattach a teenager’s fingers following an accident.

The San Tan Valley boy stuck his hand under the deck of a running lawnmower as he tried to adjust the height Thursday afternoon. The blade cut off three of his fingers.

The 14-year-old was home alone at the time of the incident and was unable to shut off the lawnmower.

"A deputy tried to use a kill switch to turn it off, it would not turn off," said Elias Johnson with the Pinal County Sheriff's Office. "He had to physically disconnect a wire that connected to the sparkplug to get the engine to disengage. After they did that, they found three fingers close-by that had obviously been cut off by the blade."

Sheriff’s deputies said the boy managed to jump over a wall following the accident and asked a neighbor to call 911.

Doctors were unable to reattach the fingers due to the severity of the injury. The boy's father has also lost a finger and says he will be able to help his son through his recovery.