Sunday Recipe: Chef Dad does salad dressingPosted: Updated:
Chef Dad’s 1000 Island Dressing
1 Cup Mayonnaise
1/4 Cup Ketchup
1/4 Cup Sweet Relish
1 Tbsp. Dill Relish
1 tsp. Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper
1) Whisk ingredients together well then refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
Chef Dad’s Avocado Gorgonzola Dressing
1 Cup (8 oz.) Sour Cream
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. Buttermilk
8 oz. Gorgonzola Cheese (crumbled)
2 Tbsp. Shallot (minced)
2 tsp. Fresh Lime Juice
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1) In a food processor, combine your sour cream, mayo, buttermilk, about 1/3 of your cheese, meat from the avocado, lime juice, salt & pepper. Pulse the blade several times until the mixture becomes creamy then move the dressing into a large bowl.
2) Add the remaining crumbled cheese and your minced shallot then fold into the dressing. Taste for seasoning adjustment, if any. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight before using.
Cooks Notes: This makes about 1 pint of dressing and should last for several days if kept in an airtight container. Substituting the gorgonzola with bleu cheese is ok too.
Chef Dad’s Red Wine Vinaigrette
1 Cup Olive Oil (regular or extra virgin)
1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 Cup Shallots (diced fine)
Salt & Pepper
1) In a bowl with a whisk, combine the olive oil, red wine vinegar, shallots and ¼ teaspoon of each salt and pepper. Whisk vigorously for 30 seconds then taste for seasoning adjustment, if any. You can always add a little more vinegar or olive oil to your liking. Just keep in mind that a little extra kick will disappear a bit when put over a large lettuce salad or pasta salad.
2) Keep chilled until you’re ready to eat. Toss with your lettuce or pasta salad then serve.