Teen kidnapped and held for ransom; suspect still missing

Posted: Updated:

GLENDALE, Ariz. - There was early morning excitement at a Glendale apartment complex as police were responding to a kidnapping call.

“We didn’t know what was going on,” said Maria De La Rosa, “I just came out to see what was going on and we were told to get back in.”

Residents in the area of 67th Avenue and Grovers Road were told to get inside, because it was safer than being outside while police were hunting for somebody armed and dangerous.

“They just told us to get inside the apartment, we couldn’t come out or anything,” another neighbor said.

Police said it all started when three men broke into a home in Phoenix near McDowell Road and 67th Avenue and kidnapped a 14-year-old boy.

A couple hours later, officers found the 14-year-old at an apartment in Glendale. They said he was being held for ransom.

When police showed up the suspects fled on foot prompting police to surround the area and bring in the K-9’s.

Manny Thompson came to visit his brother, but he was on the other side of the police so Manny had to wait.

“He was like, man, I woke up to officers telling 149 to come out and he just text me that and that’s why I came over here and that’s where this is all happening,” said Thompson.

Police searched the area for about four hours. Two suspects, Alvin Dancy, 19, and Greg Gilmore, 22, were found and arrested. The third suspect is still on the run. Police also found a handgun that was thrown into a nearby field. 

“Yeah, we’re moving, then the lease is up we’re moving, I don’t want to live here, it’s crazy over here,” commented Thompson.

The teen needed medical help when he was found, so he was treated at a nearby hospital and later transported to another hospital with what doctors believe is a skull fracture.

Police believe the suspects were after the victim’s uncle.

Police say they don’t have much to go on to catch the third suspect, except that it was a black male and ask if anybody knows anything about the kidnapping to call the police or Silent Witness at 480-WITNESS.