HOTLINE: Sunday July 24Posted: Updated:
SRP's Energy Analyzer Program
Find out how much energy your appliances and electronics yse. The "Kill A Watt" device is avalable at libraries valleywide at no charge. For a list of participating libraries go to http://savewithsrp.com
Dr. Art Mollen
For more information about the health topics Dr. Art Mollen spoke about, call (602)264-9806
Back to School Makeovers
Cosmos Salon and Spa is located at 2837 N. Power Rd in Mesa. For more information call 480-844-0707 or go to https://www.facebook.com/cosmosspa
Wally's Weekly Car Review
For more on Wally Cahill: www.azmotorsportsmania.tv
If you'd like to add Sunday's Sweetheart or any other pet to your family, contact The Arizona Humane Society at (602) 997-7585. For more information about AHS events and programs, visit www.azhumane.org.
Recipe for Chef Dad's Cheesy Chicken & Rice Casserole
1 Roaster Chicken (already cooked from your grocers' deli)*
10 oz. Can of Ro-Tel® (diced tomatoes & green chilies - found in the canned tomato section)
6 Tbsp. Butter
2 ½ Cups Whole Milk
1 lb. Velveeta® Cheese (cubed)
1/2 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
1/4 Cup Parsley (chopped fine)
Grated Parmesan Cheese (use as a topping when serving)
1 1/2 Cups Long Grain White Rice (not instant)
2 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Tbsp. Butter
½ tsp. Kosher Salt
¼ tsp. Black Pepper
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) Take your roaster chicken and remove & discard the skin then peel the meat from the bones and put in a bowl. If your pieces are big, give them a rough chop to make smaller, bite size pieces for final assembly.
3) Make the rice by combining all ingredients in a lidded sauce pan over medium high heat. Once it comes to a boil, stir well then put the cover back on and reduce the heat to low or medium low so it will just simmer. Let it simmer for about 10-12 minutes until it looks like all the liquid has been absorbed into the rice. Remove from the heat, keep covered and set aside until final assembly.
4) Make your cheese sauce by combining the butter, milk and cubed Velveeta in a saucepan over medium low heat. Add a few pinches of salt & pepper plus the crushed red pepper and stir this mixture every few minutes. Don't rush this by turning up the heat or you'll burn the cheese. Low & slow for this sauce. Once the cheese sauce is done, it's time to assemble the dish.
5) Use cooking spray to coat a 9 x 13" casserole dish. In a large bowl, combine your cooked chicken, Ro Tel, parsley, cooked rice and cheese sauce together and mix well. Pour everything into your casserole dish. Bake for at least 50, but no longer than 55 minutes. Serve immediately and sprinkle parmesan cheese over top with each serving.
This recipe makes about 8-10 servings and great as a leftover meal.
Cooks Notes: *Buy your roasted chicken from your grocers' deli department and save the hassle of doing it yourself. Simply remove the skin and pick apart the meat. It's beneficial to this dish if you make the rice as described above. Instant or "10 Minute" rice is OK too. You'll need about 4 cups of cooked rice. Finally, this mixture will look too wet when you first pour it into the casserole dish. Don't worry, it'll come out of the oven just right.