Fire breaks out at Mesa assisted living facility

Posted: Updated:

MESA, Ariz. - Residents of an assisted living facility were evacuated Thursday afternoon after smoke started coming from the fourth floor.

Mesa and Gilbert fire crews responded to the assisted living facility near Main Street and Mesa Drive just after 5 p.m.

The fire started and was contained to a bedroom on the fourth floor of the multi-story building.

One man in his mid 60s suffered cardiac arrest after he escaped his apartment that was engulfed in smoke.

Fire sprinklers kept the fire contained to that apartment. According the Mesa fire about 50 firefighters brought the blaze under control and treated just that one patient.

Around 90 residents were safely relocated to the first floor lobby. No other injuries were reported.