Woman killed, man wounded in 3-way standoff

Posted: Updated:

PHOENIX – One woman is dead after she and two men pulled out weapons and ended up in a three-way standoff at a Phoenix home late Sunday night.

It happened at about 10:30 p.m. at a home near 19th and Missouri avenues. Investigators were still on the scene trying to sort everything out at 6 a.m.

While it’s not clear exactly what led up to the incident, police said the woman had an assault rifle. She and the two armed men were all pointing their weapons at each other just before bullets started flying.

Investigators said several people were at the home at the time. The woman apparently told the others she was going to the bathroom. When she returned, she had that assault rifle.

Police said she pointed the weapon at the group, focusing on one man in particular. That man pulled a gun of his own and took aim at her.

In what officers described as a three-way standoff, the woman’s boyfriend got involved, pulling his gun and pointing it at the man.

The 22-year-old woman opened fire, hitting her target in the wrist. He returned fire.

Investigators said the man told them he fired as he ran away. Witnesses, however, told a different story. They said he deliberately aimed and shot the woman in the chest.

The wounded woman collapsed in the doorway. She was pronounced dead at St. Joseph’s Hospital.

The man who shot her later turned himself in at another hospital. He was grazed in the wrist and is expected to recover.

The woman’s boyfriend left the scene. It’s not clear if he fired his weapon, but police believe he is still armed. In addition to his own gun, investigators think he has the woman’s assault rifle, as well.

Detectives are still trying to determine what led to the shooting. They don’t know for sure at this point, but they believe it was connected to a car that had been stolen earlier in the day.

Investigators are trying to determine is drugs were a factor in the violence.

Police have not released any information about anyone involved in the incident nor have they made any arrests.