Tucson headlines: Apartment fire; Bomb scare; Suspicious death; Border agent death lawsuit

Posted: Updated:

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Tucson firefighters were called to a fire late Tuesday morning at a three-story assisted living facility near Tucson Boulevard and Broadway Road.

Crews arrived on scene and found black smoke coming from a unit on the second floor.

A man in his 70's was pulled from the unit and transported to a local hospital where he later died.

About 50 residents from the facility were evacuated. The cause of the fire is still under investigation.


TUCSON, Ariz. -- A suspicious package resulted in a call for the bomb squad Tuesday afternoon on Craycroft and Golf Links Roads.

A Border Patrol agent saw what he thought was a bomb outside a Circle K. He put it in his car to investigate, before calling a bomb squad.

The area was blocked off for over an hour before police blew it up and learned it was nothing more than tent poles.


TUCSON, Ariz. -- Tucson police looking into what they call a suspicious death. A woman living outside of Arizona called Tucson police department to check on her father, who she couldn't reach for several days.

When they went to the townhomes on Grant and Silverbell Road, they found the man dead inside.

Detectives believe he could have been murdered, but they need autopsy results first.

His name has not been released.

Police also say a 2004 silver GMC truck that looks like this one is missing from the mans home.

Anyone with information is being asked to call 911 or 88-CRIME.


TUCSON, Ariz. -- The family of murdered Border Patrol agent Brian Terry is looking into suing the U.S. Government for his death.

Two guns found at the crime scene were part of an ATF operation gone wrong, in which the bureau of alcohol tobacco and firearms allowed guns to be smuggled into Mexico.

Terry's family has hired lawyer Paul Charlton, former U.S. Attorney for Arizona.


TUCSON, Ariz. -- A driver on Interstate 19 is alive thanks to the quick work of an off duty border patrol agent.

The driver crashed with another vehicle on I-19, then got she got trapped inside.

When the agent approached the car, he saw it was on fire and two bystanders were trying to break the window.

The agent used his gun to break the window and pull the woman out. Seconds later, the car was fully engulfed.

The woman's hair caught fire but she will live.