Three injured in Gilbert house fire

Posted: Updated:

GILBERT, Ariz. --Three people, including a Gilbert Firefighter, were injured during a Gilbert house fire near Val Vista and Baseline roads on Saturday afternoon.

One resident was rushed to an area hospital to be treated for burns to the face and mouth and smoke inhalation. The second resident and firefighter suffered minor burns and were treated on scene.

The first alarm fire broke out at a home in The Villages patio home development on Raleigh Bay Drive.

Gilbert Fire Captain Mark Justus said two residents were home at the time. One of them attempted to extinguish the flames with a hose before fire crews arrived and was then taking to the hospital.

Justus said the home was a total loss, but firefighters were able to stop the blaze from spreading to an adjacent home.

The cause of the fire was not immediately known.