Woman shot during standoff with Phoenix SWAT

Posted: Updated:
By Natalie Flanzer By Natalie Flanzer

PHOENIX – Investigators are still trying to piece together the events of a police standoff that ended in an officer-involved shooting, putting one woman in the hospital and another woman behind bars.

The suspect, Monique Rodriguez, pictured above, is facing a variety of charges in the wake of Wednesday morning's standoff and shooting at a Phoenix home in the area of 12th Street and Broadway Road.

According to Sgt. Trent Crump of the Phoenix Police Department, it all started when a bail bonds company in Mesa contacted Phoenix’s Major Offender Unit at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday to report that Rodriguez had skipped bond. She was supposed to appear in court on theft charges, but failed to to do so.

“When our officers arrived here [at 12th Street and Broadway Road], the individual who we believe had the outstanding warrants saw us or knew of our presence,” Crump said. “She decided to flee.”

Rodriguez ran through the home and out the back door where she was confronted by additional officers. Crump said she was armed with a handgun.

Rodriguez retreated back into the home, kicking off a standoff that lasted nearly four hours. That standoff “turned very violent at times,” Crump said.

“As we tried to deliver equipment to communicate, that equipment was shot at,” he explained.

Officers did not fire back.

There was a second woman in the house through all of this, and while it initially was not clear how she was connected to the situation, police later determined that she was Rodriguez's lover.

Information was constantly changing over the course of the standoff and continued to develop after it ended.

Crump said officers had reports that the second woman might have been a hostage. At other points during the standoff, however, he said it appeared that the women were working together.

As the investigation progresses, police are finding that the second woman had several opportunities to escape, but never took advantage of them. Rather, detectives believe she and Rodriguez were mainlining meth as they taunted officers positioned outside the home.

Police still aren't sure which woman fired at the communications equipment they tried to send in, nor do they know everything that happened inside the house over the course of the standoff. Crump said the women reportedly changed their appearance at some point during those four hours, swapping clothes and even cutting their hair.

After that, Crump said the second woman matched the description police on the scene had of Rodriguez.

What brought it all to an end was a sniper shot through a window.

“They saw a female who they believed was in a threatening position [over a woman],” Crump said. “Given the ordeal that had occurred, one of our snipers took a shot.”

The woman at the window was hit in the left side of her face. At last check, she was in critical condition. Her wound reportedly is not life-threatening, but police have not yet been able to talk to her so it's not clear how she came to be holding a gun over Rodriguez.

Shortly after the shooting, Rodriguez came outside and surrendered. She was still armed, Crump said.

“We are trying to figure out what roles each of them played, what the motive was behind this, what happened inside that home over that four hours,” Crump said.

Even more than 24 hours after the shooting, investigators still do not have all the pieces of the puzzle.

"It is early," Crump said. "You have to remember that we have an entire half of this that we are not able to interview. There were only two people inside that home."

Rodriguez, 26, has been booked into the Maricopa County Jail. Originally wanted for failing to appear in court on charges of theft, she now faces numerous other charges, including aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and kidnapping.