Man dies while working on AC unit

Posted: Updated:

PHOENIX – A man died while working on a commercial air-conditioning unit Monday morning.

It happened shortly after 8:30 a.m.

According to the Phoenix Fire Department, two men were working on a large industrial cooler on the roof of a warehouse either owned or leased by the county near First Avenue and Lincoln Street. The building is the Sheriff Central Stores.

While testing the components, one of the workers collapsed.

When emergency crews got to the victim, they found his co-worker performing CPR, said Capt. Barry Morgan of the Phoenix Police Department.

Rescuers took over but were unable to save the 54-year-old man. He was pronounced dead at the scene. His name has not been released.

It was initially believed that the man had been electrocuted. Officials later said there was no evidence of that.

The victim had a burn on his hand, which is believed to have been caused by a heating coil, according to Phoenix police Sgt. Trent Crump. He said the cause and manner of death will be determined by the Maricopa County Medical Examiner's Office within the next few days.

The other man who was working on the unit was not injured.

According to Morgan, the two men are with a private contractor that had been doing quite a bit of work servicing the large AC units for the county.