2 Injured in chemical explosion at Phoenix city yardPosted: Updated:
PHOENIX – An explosion at a city yard injured two city of Phoenix workers Friday morning.
It happened in the area of 43rd Avenue and Indian School Road. The men reportedly were trying to start a generator in a storage shed at the time. The two men, whose names have not been released, had poured some chemicals into the generator just before the explosion.
Workers on the scene said the generator “spit out” those chemicals, but it’s not yet clear exactly if the generator itself blew up.
One of the workers, a 50-year-old man, suffered serious burns and was transferred to the Arizona Burn Center at Maricopa County Medical Center. His condition was not immediately available, but he reportedly is expected to survive.
A second man was burned, as well, but the extent of his injuries was not known.
Details will be updated as they become available.