Sheriff's office identifies victims of Yuma shooting spree

Posted: Updated:
By Natalie Flanzer By Natalie Flanzer

YUMA, Ariz. -- The Yuma County Sheriff's Office has released the names of the victims of Thursday morning's 5-1/2-hour shooting spree in and around Yuma.

Authorities said Carey Hal Dyess, 73, was targeting his ex-wife, Theresa Lorraine Sigurdson, and her friends who were supportive of her in their divorce when he fatally shot her and four others before killing himself. Another woman was critically wounded in the shooting rampage.

There were a total of five crime scenes in the county and one in the city of Yuma.
Shortly after 5 a.m., Sheriff's deputies were called to a home near Avenue 22-1/2E and Highway 80 in Wellton, about 20 miles east of Yuma. Sigurdson's best friend, Linda Kay Clatone, 52, was found shot multiple times.
Clatone was flown to a Phoenix hospital where she remains hospitalized in critical condition.
By 11:30 a.m., the sheriff's department had responded to three more homes.
Sigurdson, 61, was found dead at a home in Wellton near Avenue 35E and Highway 80. Two people were found dead at a home near Avenue 32E and Highway 80. One has been identified as Henry Scott Finney, 76. The other victim's name was withheld pending notification of family. James P. Simpson, 75, was found dead at a home near Avenue 36E and Highway 80.
Dyess was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound near Blaisdell and Highway 95.
Friends said Dyess was distraught and very resentful over his 2008 divorce and was targeting anyone who supported Theresa in it.

Police said Dyess also killed Jerrold Shelley, his ex-wife's divorce attorney who was found dead inside his office on Second Avenue in downtown Yuma.
"There was an office assistant inside," said Yuma Chief of Police Jerry Grier. "He instructed that person to get down and that's when the shooting happened."
"It still seems unbelievable to me," said Shelley's friend of more than 20 years, Presiding Judge Andrew Gould. "Mr. Shelley was a great attorney in this community and a great man."
“Yesterday morning Jerry Shelley was in this office at 8 am,” says friend and fellow attorney Jimmie Smith. “He had made the decision a couple months ago to retire from the practice of law and move full time to phoenix.”
But an hour later, just after 9 am, Smith heard the sirens and got the call his friend of more than 30 years was dead. “A murder is one thing but someone coming in and shooting Jerry Shelley is a totally different thing.”
Scott Shelley said his dad knew being a defense attorney, handling capital murder cases could be dangerous. He also handled divorce cases and while the Dyess case was contentious, it was also wrapped up two years ago.

Shelley said he has no idea what caused Dyess to lash out Thursday, but he said he knows his father's legacy as a great father and devoted husband will live on forever.
"He was a devoted father, devoted Christian. He frankly was a great example to myself personally and to I think everyone else in my family. Secondly he was an extremely devoted husband. I also believe that would be one of his greatest legacies. I never saw him treat my mother with anything other than the utmost respect and admiration for over 35 years of marriage and that's the hardest part of this is knowing that she's in pain"
According to court records Theresa and Carey Dyess were married in Tombstone May 2002 and filed for divorce in 2006. Theresa alleged domestic abuse and received an order of protection. Carey later took out his own order of protection against Theresa.
Court records also show the 2006 divorce was Carey Dyess' fifth.
It was final in 2007. Theresa bought out Carey’s share of their home and stayed in the house in Wellton, the same home where she was found dead Thursday morning.

Carey Dyess also had an order of protection against a man he identified as ‘my wife's boyfriend,” who he alleged was harassing him by driving by his home every day.

It was a nasty divorce that ultimately cost the Theresa, her three friends and attorney all their life and left another friend in the hospital.
As for why now Carey lashed out, all these years later? “It’s just astounding I don’t know,” said Smith.