Arizona headlines: Air Force balloon crashes in yard; Nogales tunnel; Shootings

Posted: Updated:

SIERRA VISTA, Ariz. -- A Fort Huachuca radar-detecting balloon came loose and crashed into the backyard of a Sierra Vista man.

The balloon, called an Air Force aerostat, deflated Monday afternoon, sending debris falling and the main part of the balloon landing in the man's yard.

The balloon helps homeland security find drug smugglers and low flying planes at the Arizona-Mexico border.


NOGALES, Ariz. -- A 250 foot long sophisticated smuggling tunnel under the U.S.-Mexico border, busted.

It had electricity, water pumps and ventilation.

It was also chiseled through solid rock. The border patrol found it a week ago.

It is 15 feet below the surface, starting in an abandoned building in Nogales, Sonora. It was still being constructed on the Arizona Side.

And a former border patrol agent in Tucson was sentenced to nearly 2 years in prison for accepting bribes.

Yamilkar Fierros took $5500 in exchange for telling traffickers about 100 border patrol sensor locations in the Sonoita area.


NOGALES, Sonora -- A band member in Nogales Sonora was shot and killed for refusing to play a request.

Three men pulled over the band's bus Monday night, got inside and asked the band play certain songs. The band leader said they were too tired to play. The gunmen came back 15 minutes later and shot two people, killing one.


TUCSON, Ariz. -- Deputies now say 26-year-old Jose Guerena did not shoot at the SWAT team that killed him. He was holding an AR-15 assault rifle with one round in the chamber and more in the magazine and SWAT members fired at him when he pointed the gun at them. The SWAT team was there serving a warrant.

Guerena's wife and 4-year-old son were not hurt in the shooting.

And in another officer involved shooting, an autopsy shows 22-year-old Nicolas Johnson was shot by Tucson police seven times after he tried running over an officer with a car in March.


TUCSON, Ariz. -- A murder suspect has surrendered in the March homicide of a 24-year-old man near Prince and Fairview.

The Tucson police department announced late Monday night that 18-year-old Terry Dixon turned himself into Los Angeles police in connection with the killing of Flint Smith in the 3700 block of North Tuttle on March 24.  Dixon awaits extradition to Tucson.

More on Dixon's surrender.