Boy crawls through doggy door, drowns in backyard poolPosted: Updated:
PHOENIX – A toddler has died after being found in a backyard pool in west Phoenix Monday afternoon.
Paramedics responded to a home in the 4000 block of North 113th Drive at about 1:30 p.m. The 2-year-old boy was taken to Banner Estrella Hospital where he died.
Police say the boy's mother and grandparents were home at the time but lost track of the child. After looking for him for about 30 minutes they found him in the backyard pool filled with green, murky water.
Family members began performing CPR on the boy until paramedics arrived. The toddler was not breathing and did not have a pulse when emergency crews got there.
It appears the child exited the house through a doggy door into the backyard and fell into the pool.
“The child was able to get through that doggy door, out into the backyard," said Capt. Scott Walker of the Phoenix Fire Department. "As we always see, the pools seem to be a big magnet for all these little children right into the pool, looking for a toy or whatever. We don’t really know why but they always seem to end up in that pool.”
Firefighters say there was proper security on the door leading to the backyard, but there was no fence surrounding the pool.
So far this year, there have been 16 drownings Valleywide -- six children, one teenager and nine adults.