Gun wielding suspect killed by Phoenix police

Posted: Updated:

PHOENIX - A suspect in an April murder was shot and killed by Phoenix police Friday night after pointing a gun at officers.

The incident happened just before 10 p.m. outside a home in the 3000 block of West Altadena Avenue.

Officers from the major offender unit were conducting surveillance of Jeremy Michael Ludquist, 32,  in connection with a Phoenix homicide on April 27.

According to police, two plainclothes officers were hiding in an alley near a dumpster in the rear of the house when Ludquist came out and started walking down the alley. When he got near police, the officers identified themselves as police officers. 

Ludquist then pointed a gun at the officers who then opened fire, striking the suspect several times. Ludquist was rushed to a local hospital where he died of his wounds.

Ludquist has been identified as the suspect who shot and killed Jason Keagle on April 27 in the victim's apartment at 43rd Avenue and Van Buren Street.

A woman in the home where Lundquist was under surveillance was also arrested for a warrant and booked into jail. Taritha Neal, 30, was not present in the alley when the shooting occurred and police said it does not appear she was involved in Keagle's murder.

The woman who answered the door at the home police had under surveillance said Lundquist was renting a room there. He only moved in about a month ago.

"I heard three loud gunshots, as loud as I have ever heard anything," described neighbor Mike Motte about the shoot out.

Several neighbors told 3TV the house has been an issue in the relatively quiet neighborhood.

Neighbors said traffic was flowing through that house all hours of the day and night and for some reason most of suspicious guests go through the back alley.

"My family and my neighbors, we've been talking about it," Motte said. "We knew something was going on in that house. Something that was not normal."

The officers involved in the shooting, a 10-year and 18-year veterans, have been placed on administrative leave as is standard procedure following an officer involved shooting.