Two firefighters hurt after home engulfed in flames explodes

Posted: Updated:

TEMPE, Ariz. - Two firefighters were injured after a house fire causes an explosion Friday afternoon around 2:30 p.m. in Tempe.

According to a fire official. as firefighters were in front of the house getting their gear on a large explosion occurred on the east side of the home located near Baseline Road and Mill Avenue.

One firefighter suffered serious burns to his head, ear and hand and was rushed to a hospital burn unit.

A second firefighter suffered some kind of knee injury when the explosion occurred and was taken to the hospital.

A neighbor who witnessed the explosion said the garage door came flying out.

Officials say the fire started when the homeowner left a barbecue or smoker unattended for a few minutes.

The fire spread to the house and caused the explosion sending debris flying around.

No other injuries were reported and crews were able to get the blaze under control.