Apartment fire displaces 2 Phoenix familiesPosted: Updated:
PHOENIX – Two families are out of their homes after an early morning fire at a Phoenix apartment complex.
The first 911 calls came in at about 3 a.m. Tuesday. Firefighters arrived at the Broadstone Apartments at 12th Street and Bethany Home Road within minutes.
While it’s not yet known what sparked the fire, crews believe it started on a first-floor patio, and then quickly spread to the balcony of the unit above.
Thanks to the firefighters’ fast work, most of the damage was limited to the outside of the building.
“We didn’t have to go and search for this fire,” said Capt. Jonathan Jacobs of the Phoenix Fire Department. “Crews were able to make a really quick, fast knockdown on that, which prevented a lot of further damage to the complex.”
Emergency crews said smoke detectors played a vital role in the situation, waking the families in the two apartments and allowing them to escape unharmed.
Because of the smoke and water damage, the two families have been temporarily placed in other units until firefighters can make sure their apartments are safe.
Bethany Home Road was closed in the area while firefighters were on the scene, but it has since reopened.