Space heater likely to blame for garage fire at Chandler home

Posted: Updated:

CHANDLER, Ariz. – Investigators believe a space heater might be blame for an early morning fire at a Chandler home.

Crews from Chandler and Tempe were called out to a house near Price and Elliot roads at about 7 a.m.

Firefighters said the garage was engulfed in flames when they arrived. Thick smoke was visible for quite some distance.

When they searched the home, firefighters found the homeowner and her two dogs in the backyard. None of them was hurt.

Crews managed to contain the flames as they were starting to spread to the rest of the house.

While much of what was in the garage was destroyed, a damage estimate was not immediately available.

Investigators are taking a close look at a space heater that they believe the homeowner used to keep her dogs, which apparently slept in the garage, warm at night.