One Wok Meals from Jimmy Woos ChefPosted: Updated:
Chef Andrew Nam from Jimmy Woos showed Tess and Tyler how to make Sweet & Sour Chicken. Jimmy Woo's is located at 4233 North Scottsdale Road in Scottsdale. For more information call (480) 945-4669 or go to www.JimmyWoos.com
His recipe Sweet and Sour Chicken:
- green bell peppers
- red bell peppers
- pineapple chunks
- yellow onions
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tbsp. oil
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups water
1. Toss chicken with 1/4 cup cornstarch and coat chicken well. In another bowl, whisk together the 2 cups of flour, 6 tbsp. of oil, 4 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. salt, and pinch of cayenne pepper.
2. Little by little add in the 2 cups of water and begin whisking the batter until it has become a smooth consistency. Pour the batter over the chicken and coat pieces well.
3. In a heated saute pan add in a little cooking oil. Saute green bell peppers, red bell peppers and yellow onions for about 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
4. In a sauce pot or stock pot fill with cooking oil (enough for deep frying the battered chicken) and heat to about 350 degrees. Gently place battered pieces of chicken into the oil and cook until a light golden brown (approximately 2-3 minutes, depending on how thick pieces are). Remove from fryer when done and place on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
5. Place the saute pan with vegetables over medium to high heat and add pineapple chunks. Add the sweet and sour sauce to pan and when sauce starts to thicken, remove from heat and then add in chicken and toss well.
Sweet and Sour Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
Combine all ingredients and mix well and set aside