8-Year-old severely burned while playing with fire in PeoriaPosted: Updated:
PEORIA, Ariz. – An 8-year-old Peoria boy is in the hospital after suffering severe burns to more than 1/3 of his body.
It happened while the boy was playing with some other children, possibly siblings, in wash behind a home in the area of 115th Avenue and Happy Valley Road.
Exactly what happened is not clear, but authorities said the kids were playing with fire and that gasoline might have been involved.
The little boy was air-lifted to the Arizona Burn Unit at Maricopa Medical Center.
According to Peoria fire officials, the child suffered second-degree burns to about 35 percent of his body. His condition was not immediately available.
Second-degree burns extend into deeper layers of skin tissue and usually involve blistering. Potential complications include infection, contractures, which is when muscle tissue is shortened or remains contracted, and scarring. In some cases, second-degree burns require skin grafts.
It can take weeks for a patient with second-degree burns to recover, longer if the burn progressed to third-degree.