2 Burned, several evacuated in Mesa apartment firePosted: Updated:
MESA, Ariz. – Two people were rushed to the hospital after an overnight fire ripped through their Mesa apartment.
It happened just after 2 a.m. at that Warren House Apartments near Alma School Road and University Drive. Firefighters were on the scene in less than five minutes and immediately upgraded the call to first alarm so additional crews would be dispatched.
According to the Mesa Fire Department, a 50-year-old woman suffered second- and third-degree burns to about 40 percent of her upper torso. A 45-year-old man suffered minor burns. Both victims were taken to the Arizona Burn Center at Maricopa Medical Center. Their conditions were not immediately available.
Because the building is concrete, the flames did not spread as quickly as they might have with wood construction. The fire and subsequent damage, which is extensive, were contained to a single small unit on the ground floor.
Even though the fire did not spread, all of the residents of the 10-unit building were evacuated as a precaution. That is not uncommon with apartment fires.
“Our first concern was the people in the unit and then evacuating the whole building,” said Capt. Bill Hayes of the Mesa Fire Department.
The 40 firefighters on the scene were able to knock down the flames relatively quickly. The evacuated residents were allowed back into their homes as soon as the fire was out.
It’s not yet known what sparked the fire.