Firefighters save Peoria couple's Chihuahuas from house fire

Posted: Updated:
By Catherine Holland By Catherine Holland

PEORIA, Ariz. – A Peoria couple is thankful firefighters were able to save their two Chihuahuas from an early morning house fire Wednesday.

It happened at 71st and Peoria avenues.

The couple was not home at the time. They were staying at a hotel because their pipes burst during last week’s freeze and repairs were still under way. As part of those repairs, fans were being used to dry out the interior of the house, making it too loud for the couple to sleep at night.

Firefighters arrived on the scene to find an active fire. While the couple was not at home, crews still performed a search-and-rescue sweep. That is their standard procedure with a house fire, even if the firefighters are told the home is empty. The firefighters’ sweep did turn up two small victims in this case – a pair of Chihuahuas named Patches and Cinnamon.

Once the homeowners learned about the fire, they raced to the home, fearing the worst.

“I’m ecstatic that they’re alive,” said one of the homeowners while cuddling a frightened Patches. “I thank God she’s alive.”

While the damage to the house was extensive, no injuries were reported.

It’s not yet known what sparked the fire.