Smoldering cigarette to blame for Phoenix condo fire

Posted: Updated:

PHOENIX – Firefighters said a lit cigarette is to blame for an early morning condo fire.

It happened about 2 a.m. near 24th Avenue and Thunderbird Road.

According to firefighters, a cigarette was left smoldering on the back patio. The flames started there and then quickly moved into the kitchen area.

Crews were able to knock down the flames before the fire moved up to the second floor. The damage, while significant, was mostly confined to the patio and kitchen.

No injuries were reported.