Tabouli & hummus bi tahiniPosted: Updated:
• 1 cup water
• 1 cup fine cracked wheat
• 1 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
• 1/2 cup minced fresh mint leaves
• 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
• 3 tomatoes, diced
• 2 cucumbers, seeded and diced
• 4 Tbsp. olive oil
• 3 Tbsp. lemon juice,
• 1 tsp. salt
In a large mixing bowl, pour the water over the cracked wheat and cover, let stand about 20 minutes until wheat is tender and water is absorbed. Add the chopped herbs and vegetables and toss with the mix. Combine the oil, lemon juice, and salt in a separate bowl. Add to wheat mixture and mix well. Chill. Serve and enjoy.
Hummus Bi Tahini
1 cup chick peas
3 cups water
1/3 cup tahini
½ cup lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1. Wash chick peas, and cover with the water to soak for 12 hours, or overnight.
2. Bring to a boil in the water in which they were soaked. Boil gently for 2 hours, add 1 teaspoon salt and cook until very tender, about 3 hours in all. Drain and reserve some of the cooking liquid.
3. Press peas though a food mill, adding about 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid.
4. Slowly blend the tahini and most of the lemon juice into the puree.
5. Crush garlic with ½ teaspoon salt in a mortar and add to puree. Adjust flavor and consistency with lemon juice, cooking liquid, and salt, if necessary.
6. Spread in a shallow serving dish, swirling it with back of a spoon. Pour olive oil into center and sprinkle with parsley.
7. Serve with warmed pita bread