Neighbors save family of 6 from burning homePosted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- A family of six is safe this morning after their neighbors helped them escape their burning home.
The family, which lives in the area of 59th Avenue and Roosevelt Street, woke to their neighbors banging on their windows and doors at about 2:30 a.m. Friday.
The fire started in the carport and spread quickly to the side of the house.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, the carport was already engulfed in flames. The fire gutted the carport, destroying the roof and two SUVs that were parked there.
The couple who lives in the house with their four children, the oldest of whom is 13, got out safely thanks to their neighbors.
The house does have a smoke alarm, but the family was already rushing out the front door when it went off.
Fire crews were able to knock down the fire relatively quickly. They were also able to rescue the family's dog.
Firefighters said the situation might have been much worse had it not been for the neighbors.
It's not yet known what sparked the fire. Investigators were expected on the scene later in the day.