Firefighters rescue dog from burning home in Phoenix

Posted: Updated:

PHOENIX -- A Phoenix man has firefighters to thank for his dog's life after an overnight fire destroyed his home.

Crews were called out to the home near 45th Avenue and Thunderbird Road at about 3 a.m. Thursday.

According to firefighters, the homeowner had a lit cigarette in his hand when he fell asleep on the couch.

When the man woke up to discover his couch on fire, he tried to drag it out of the house but ended up cutting his hand.

Firefighters were able to get into the burning home and save the man's dog.

The back of the home was destroyed.

Other than the homeowner's cut hand, no injuries were reported.