Chocolate covered strawberriesPosted: Updated:
12 ea. strawberries, stem intact, washed and dried well
¼ lb semi-sweet chocolate (minimum 32 – 39% cocoa butter)
2 oz white chocolate
1. Leave the washed and dried strawberries out at room temperature.
2. Find two small bowls that will comfortably fit over two small saucepans. Fill each saucepot with about 2 inches of water and place over medium heat. Dry the inside of the bowls with a kitchen towel and position over the saucepans.
3. Chop the chocolate into small chunks and place the dark and white chocolate in separate bowls that are now suspended over the simmering water. Ensure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
4. Now “temper” the chocolate: Heat the chocolate to 110 degrees, remove the bowls and place them on the counter. Allow to cool to exactly 82-85 degrees, where the chocolate thickens and forms “peaks”. It will be slightly thicker than working temperature.
5. Return the bowls to their positions over the simmering water again and heat back up to 88 degrees; this is the perfect temperature to dip your strawberries.
6. Working quickly, dip strawberries ¾ of the way into the dark chocolate and transfer to a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Slide the strawberry slightly forward to get rid of the “foot” that will otherwise form as they cool. If the chocolate gets too thick, heat it back up slightly.
7. Transfer the melted white chocolate to a small paper cone with a teaspoon and drizzle the strawberries to create a nice contrast. They can be refrigerated for a few hours only at this point.