1 Hurt in early morning apartment fire in PhoenixPosted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- One person was seriously injured in an early morning apartment fire in Phoenix.
Firefighters responded to the Beverly Palms apartment complex near 19th Avenue and Bethany Home Road at about 5 a.m. Tuesday.
The back portion of the apartment was fully engulfed in flames when crews arrived on the scene.
While those flames were confined to a single unit on the first floor, thick black smoke rose to the second floor, forcing firefighters to evacuate the families living in those units.
A man who has cystic fibrosis and is in a wheelchair got out of the burning apartment safely. A 49-year-old woman suffered severe burns to her hands and her chest, as well serious smoke inhalation.
Capt. Jonathan Jacobs of the Phoenix Fire Department said the woman was taken to the Arizona Burn Center at Maricopa Medical Center. She reportedly was in serious condition.
It's not yet known what sparked the fire, but crews said smoke detectors did go off and alert the residents.
The Phoenix Fire Department's Critical Response Team was on site to assist the people affected by this morning's fire.
Crews will be keeping an eye on the apartment for the next several hours to make sure the fire does not reignite.