Space heater likely to blame for Mesa mobile home fire

Posted: Updated:

MESA, Ariz. -- A Mesa man is lucky to be alive after a fire destroyed his mobile home overnight.

Firefighters responded to Main Street and Lindsey Road at about 2:45 a.m. Tuesday after neighbors called 911.

According to Forrest Smith of the Mesa Fire Department, crews from both Mesa and Gilbert had the fire under control in less than 25 minutes.

While the trailer was destroyed, firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading to adjacent homes.

A man in his 60s reportedly suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to a local hospital. That man's condition was not immediately available.

Smith said a space heater placed near combustibles is likely to blame for the fire.