Winter citrus salad & meyer lemon jamPosted: Updated:
Winter Citrus Salad
1 ea. Rio red grapefruit
2 ea. tangelo
1 ea. Meyer lemon
1 tsp. honey
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup mixed citrus juice
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
1 ea. fennel, shaved thin
1 head escarole, cut into strips
¼ cup toasted almonds
1 Tbsp. bea pollen
¼ cup pecorino cheese
To taste salt and pepper
- Using a sharp knife slice off the ends of the citrus
- Slice the skin of the sides of the citrus in 1” strips removing all the pith
- Slice the citrus into 1/8” thick slices down to the core from each side or segment
- Save the citrus cores and squeeze out their excess juice into a small bowl.
For the vinaigrette:
- The basic ratio for this vinaigrette is 50/50 or equal parts olive oil and citrus juice.
- The addition of a small portion of red wine vinegar serves to counterbalance the sweetness of the combined citrus juices and the honey, which is added to give a slight floral flavor as well as some sweetness.
- Whisk the citrus juice, red wine vinegar and olive oil together and drizzle in the honey. If the honey is too thick warm it slightly in a microwave or over a hot water bath.
- Taste the vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If the vinaigrette is too sweet for your tastes you can add another splash of red wine vinegar to bring up the acidity level.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the escarole and fennel together.
- Dress the greens with the vinaigrette and toss well.
- Toss in the almonds and citrus segments and toss gently to combine.
- Plate the salad and top with the pecorino cheese and bee pollen.
The sweet and acidic dressing and citrus are a great foil for the slightly bitter and earthy escarole while the salty pecorino and crunch almonds will also help bring the salad to a balanced state. The floral aroma of the honey and bee pollen will round out the combination of sweet, salty, acidic, bitter and earthy salad ingredients.
Meyer Lemon Jam
6 ea. Meyer lemons
½ ea. red onion, diced
2 ea. Fresno chili
¼ cup sugar
Salt to taste
2 cups olive oil
Cut lemons in to wedges
Remove seed and inner pith strip
Place lemons into Cuisinart
Slice Fresno chilies into rings and place in Cuisinart
Add Sugar and a pinch of salt and pulse to a rough chop
Add the olive oil and puree until emulsified
Season to taste with salt.
Use the Jam as a Marinade, sauce and salad dressing
Best with fish, seafood and chicken