Mesa family hospitalized with carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:

MESA, Ariz. -- Nine members of a Mesa family are recovering after inhaling carbon monoxide fumes while grilling at their West Farmdale Avenue home on Sunday.

A family member called 911 at approximately 4 p.m. after several members of the family complained of feeling dizzy. A Mesa Fire Department spokesman said that a burning charcoal grill was too close to the home, which allowed a small amount of carbon monoxide to enter the home through an open door.  

Five adults and four childen, including a 2-year-old, were transported to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center where they were to be treated in a hyperbaric chamber. Everyone is expected to make a full recovery.