Suspect in deadly strip club shooting identified

Posted: Updated:
By Natalie Rivers By Natalie Rivers

PHOENIX -- Police have identified the suspect in a shooting at a Phoenix strip club that left two people dead and sent two more to the hospital overnight.

It happened at about 11:30 p.m. Sunday at The Great Alaskan Bush Company near 27th Avenue and Thomas Road.

According to Sgt. Tommy Thompson of the Phoenix Police Department, Gavin T. Macfarlane, 28, walked into the club and opened fire, hitting four people.

When Macfarlane ran out of ammunition, several people tackled him, wrestled him to the ground and held him until police arrived.

All four victims -- one employee and three patrons -- were rushed to local hospitals.

Adam Troy Cooley, a bouncer at the club, died. The 34-year-old had been working at the club for the past five years. He was not armed. According to Amanda Holland, an employee, Cooley was trying to protect a female co-worker.

Antonio Garcia, a 20-year-old patron of the club, also died of his injuries.

A third man remains in critical condition.

The fourth victim, a 20-year-old woman, was shot in the arm. Her injuries reportedly are not life threatening.

No information about the survivors has been released.

Macfarlane, a Scottsdale resident,  was taken into custody as soon as police arrived on the scene.

According to Sgt. Trent Crump of the Phoenix Police Department, Macfarlane admitted his involvement in the shooting when detectives interviewed him. Macfarlane told them he had a personal agenda, Crump said. Police have not released any other details at this point.

According to one employee, some of the dancers had noticed Macfarlane at the bar earlier in the night. They described him as "creepy," saying he had a beer but was not drinking it.

Witnesses told police Macfarlane left the club and then returned some time later. That's when bullets started flying.

Crump said Macfarlane has been booked on two counts of first-degree murder, three counts of attempted murder and one count of aggravated assault.

This is the second deadly shooting at a Phoenix strip club in as many days.

Early Saturday morning, a suspect shot a security guard at ChiChis Cabaret. That security guard is expected to survive. He returned fire and hit the suspect, who was then run over by somebody trying to leave the scene. That suspect, identified as Tekina Latu, was pronounced dead at a local hospital.