Turkey tacos with handmade corn tortillas and cranberry apple salsaPosted: Updated:
Handmade corn tortillas
• 2 cups Maseca Corn Masa Mix
• 1 tsp. sea salt
• 1 1/4 cup hot water plus 2 to 3 Tbsp.
• 1 tsp. shortening
1. Mix the masa harina (corn flour, not to be confused with corn meal) and salt in a medium sized bowl. Measure 1 1/4 cups of boiling water and the shortening into a separate pan or bowl. Stir until the shortening is melted. Pour this mixture into the bowl of corn flour and mix with a fork. When the mixture is cool enough to touch (a couple of minutes) mix the dough with your hands. The dough will probably be a little dry. Add hot water one teaspoon at a time until the dough stays together and doesn't crumble apart.
2. Knead the dough for one or two minutes. Play with the consistency by adding more water if needed. What you want is a dough that is moist enough to stay together but not too sticky.
3. Pinch off some dough and roll into smooth round balls (golf ball size) with your hands.
4. If you are using a tortilla press, first get yourself a Ziploc type bag. Sandwich size or gallon size will work. I like to use this type of plastic because it is thicker and easier to work with.
5. Cut it in half so you have two separate pieces. Lay one piece on the press and then place the slightly flattened dough on top, a little bit closer to the hinge of the lid like in the picture.
6. Cover the dough with the second piece of plastic and close the lid to flatten the tortilla.
7. Carefully peel the top piece of plastic from the tortilla. Lift the tortilla and the bottom piece of plastic from the press and place it in your hand, dough side down. Now carefully peel the bottom piece of plastic from the tortilla.
8. Place your tortilla in the preheated cast iron pan or comal and cook for 45 seconds to a minute then turn over and cook for another 45 seconds or longer.
9. Place cooked tortillas in foil and cover with a clean kitchen towel to keep warm. Store tortillas in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator for several days.
Turkey Tacos with Cranberry Apple Salsa
• 8-12 corn tortillas
• Jack cheese, or mild cheddar
• Cooked turkey meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
• Lettuce, preferably iceberg lettuce, sliced very thin
• Avocados, peel and sliced
• 1 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen cranberries
• 1/2 an apple, peeled and cored
• Zest of one orange
• Chopped serrano or jalapeno chili to taste (about a half a chili, but taste for desired heat)
• 4 Tbsp. sugar
• 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
• Dash of lime or lemon juice
• Dash of salt
1. Prepare cranberry salsa. Combine cranberries and apple in a food processor and pulse until coarsely shredded, about 10 short pulses. Combine shredded cranberries, orange zest, chile, and sugar in a medium bowl. Let sit 15 minutes for the cranberries to macerate. Add cilantro, lime juice, and salt to taste.
2. Sprinkle one side of the tortilla with grated cheese, and cover one half of the tortilla with turkey meat. Fold over one side of the tortilla onto the other (like an omelette. Cook until the cheese is melted. You may need to flip the tacos over to cook the other side, but if the cheese is completely melted this is unnecessary.
3. Serve with cranberry salsa, fresh shredded lettuce, and avocados.