Tucson family nearly succumbs to carbon monoxide

Posted: Updated:

Carbon monoxide is called the silent killer, because you can't hear, see or smell it.  The deadly gas nearly claimed a Tucson family of five Wednesday.

A mother made a call to tucson fire around 7:30 Wednesday morning.  She complained that her four children were not feeling well.

"When we arrived we found five of the six people who live here complaining of headaches nausea and confusion," said Capt. Trish Tracy from the Tucson Fire Department.

The symptoms from the family led TFD to test the air in the home.

"We tested the the carbon monoxide level inside the home and found it to be 45 parts per million, this home was about five times higher than the level we allow our firefighters to go into without air packs."

The cause of the high levels of CO, the furnace on top of the house. It was apparently blocked.

"The furnace ventilation system leading to the roof was completely blocked allowing the carbon monoxide level to go down into the home."

Tucson fire says there were no working carbon monoxide detectors inside.  Detectors could have saved the family from being so seriously ill.

There are several places where a carbon monoxide detector can go.

"You place it by your furnace you know above very simple and easy installation much like a smoke alarm there's the one that just detects carbon monoxide, there's one that does the smoke and carbon monoxide detection."

Another preventive method since the temperatures have dropped and folks are using the heat. Is to get your furnace checked.

"Older homes older furnaces ten years or older you want to make sure you have it tested make sure there's no leaks the old system had a welded seam in the heat exchanger which could release carbon monoxide."

Tucson fire responded to 13 carbon monoxide incidents in the month of November.

A carbon monoxide detector can be purchased for around $25, while a dual smoke and carbon monoxide detector will cost about $50.