Family wakes to smoke filling their Chandler home

Posted: Updated:

CHANDLER, Ariz. -- Smoke from an air handler made for a rude awakening for a Chandler family early Wednesday morning.

Firefighters were called out to a home in the neighborhood of Kyrene Road and Chandler Boulevard before 6:30 a.m.

The homeowner called 911 after he woke up to the smell of smoke in his home.

It turns out the motor on the air handler in the attic malfunctioned, seized up and began smoking. It did not, however, actually catch fire.

The Chandler Fire Department said it's important for people to have their air conditioners and heaters serviced regularly. They also said now is a good time to test your smoke detectors to make sure they are working properly.

While the Chandler home was equipped with smoke detectors, the alarms did not go off. The homeowner said there was enough smoke inside the house that he believes they should have.

The couple and their young son who live in the house got out safely. No damage to the home was reported.