Avoid carbon monoxide poisoning when heating your home

Posted: Updated:

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Now that colder weather has arrived and Valley residents are trying to heat their homes, firefighters are warning about the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Glendale Fire Department said some families get creative in an effort to stay warm during the winter months and that can be dangerous or even deadly.

According to Daniel Valenzuela with the Glendale Fire Department, many people try to stay warm by using unapproved devices and inadvertently fall victim to carbon monoxide poisoning. "The silent killer" cannot be seen and can't be detected by smell or taste.

He said firefighters find residents using camping stoves, ovens and propane barbecue grills as a source of heat. Only electric heaters that are approved are recommended to heat your home.

Another danger is starting a car to warm it up while parked in the garage with the door closed. Valenzuela said this can be deadly. It doesn't take long for the garage and home to be filled with the deadly gas. It is important to open the garage door before starting the engine and to pull the car out of the garage before attempting to warm it up.

The Glendale Fire Department is urging everyone to install a carbon monoxide detector in their home.