Chicken salad with clementines, fennel & soy sesame vinaigrettePosted: Updated:
Yield: 4 servings
1 bulb fennel, sliced thinly on a Japanese mandolin
2-3 oz assorted field lettuce
1 ea. red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into strips
1 ea. carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1/2 oz. daikon sprouts
4 ea. chicken breast, about 4 oz each, cut into strips
1 recipe soy sesame vinaigrette (recipe follows)
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil for sautéing
2-3 ea. clementines, peeled, segments separated
6 ea. won-ton wrappers, cut into thin strips (these can be baked until crisp or deep fried to a golden brown)
1 tsp. black sesame seeds
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the fennel, lettuce, red pepper, carrot and sprouts; set aside.
2. Place the chicken strips in a glass or stainless steel bowl. Add ¼ cup of the Soy Sesame vinaigrette and marinate a few minutes. Meanwhile, heat a large sauté pan over med. high heat and add the vegetable oil. Drain the chicken, and carefully lay the strips in the hot oil; cook a minute or two on each side until done. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
3. Toss the fennel salad with just enough of the Soy Sesame Vinaigrette to coat each leaf, transfer to a serving platter.
4. Toss chicken with a little more of the dressing and arrange on top of lettuce. Sprinkle with clementines, wonton strips and sesame seeds.
Soy Sesame Vinaigrette
Yield: Approx. ¾ cup
2 tsp. canola oil
½ Tbsp. ginger, peeled and chopped
½ Tbsp. garlic, peeled and chopped
1 Tbsp. green onions, chopped
pinch red chile flakes
3 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
3 Tbsp. murin
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. cornstarch
½ tsp. sesame oil
1. Heat the canola oil in a small non-stick saucepan over medium high heat. Add the ginger, garlic, green onion and chile flake; cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Remove from heat
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Add to the ginger mixture, return to the stove and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cook briefly until mixture thickens.
3. Remove from heat, sprinkle in the sesame oil drop by drop, cool and refrigerate.