Elderly couples tied up, beaten during home robberies in Phoenix

Posted: Updated:
Sketches of investigative leads in Thursday's robbery By Jennifer Thomas Sketches of investigative leads in Thursday's robbery By Jennifer Thomas

PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Police Department is investigating two similar robberies in which the elderly victims were bound and beaten in their homes.

According to Sgt. Trent Crump, the robberies occurred in the area of 32nd Street and Southern Avenue in southeast Phoenix. At this point, police have not confirmed that the two robberies were committed by the same suspects.

At approximately 3:30 p.m. Thursday, two suspects went to a home near 32nd Street and Vineyard Road and told the elderly victims that their car had broken down and they needed to use the phone to call for help. Once the door was open, the suspects forced their way into the home.

Crump said the 90-year-old man and 87-year-old woman were bound, gagged, blindfolded and left lying face down on the ground while the suspects ransacked the home.

The suspects spent approximately 20 minutes in the house. They reportedly took personal items then fled the home.

A caregiver found the elderly couple Friday morning.

Crump said both victims were physically abused during the robbery. He said they sustained serious injuries and suffered heart attacks. The man reportedly is doing OK, but the woman is in critical condition with life-threatening injuries.

According to Crump, video from a surveillance camera near the home shows two individuals walking to the house and then walking away from it. On Tuesday, police released sketches of the investigative leads.

One is described as a 35-year-old black male, 6 feet tall, 160 to 180 pounds with short hair and a mustache. The other is described as a 20-year-old black male, 5 feet 7 inches tall, 140 to 150 pounds, with long brown hair.

At approximately 9 p.m. Monday, a similar incident occurred at a home near 39th Street and St. Catherine Avenue. Crump said the 83-year-old man had gone to bed and his 81-year-old wife was is in the living room when two suspects forced their way into the home through an unsecured window.

Crump said both victims were bound and the woman was badly beaten in the attack. The suspects took personal items then fled.

The victims were able to free themselves and call police at approximately 11 p.m. They were transported to a local hospital and later released.