Pan-Seared Scallops on melted leeks with a radish saladPosted: Updated:
Yield: 4 Servings
5-6 ea. (3 lbs) leeks, white part only (should have about 1 lb clean)
2 Tbsp. butter
To taste Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil
12 large scallops
4 sprigs cilantro for garnish
1. Remove the outer layer of the leeks and trim off the root ends and the darker green portions at the top. Slice in half lengthwise and wash thoroughly. Slice crosswise into ¼ inch think slices.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat; add the butter and leeks; season with salt & pepper. Lower the heat to medium, cover and cook approx. 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently, until very tender. Transfer the leeks to a bowl and keep warm; rinse out the pan and return to the fire.
3. Increase the heat to high, and when the pan is quite hot add the tablespoon of olive oil. Season the scallops on both sides with salt and pepper and place in the sauté pan. Brown very well on the one side, turn, and brown the other side. The scallops should still be translucent in the center.
4. Transfer the leeks to a serving platter and place the Radish Salad in the center. Arrange the scallops around the salad. Garnish with the cilantro sprigs and serve immediately.
1 cup radishes, diced
1 cup tomatoes, diced
¼ cup red onion, diced
¼ cup cilantro, coarsely chopped (save a few sprigs for garnish)
As needed lemon, juice of
To taste kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
To taste coriander, freshly toasted and ground
1. In a large mixing bowl combine the radish, tomatoes, onion and cilantro; mix well.
2. Drizzle in the lemon, salt & pepper and coriander; toss and check seasoning.