Fire investigators: There's "more" to early morning house firePosted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- A Phoenix woman might owe her life to a neighbor after a fire ripped through her home early Wednesday morning. Investigators are trying to determine if the heater might be to blame for the fire.
The fire started between 5:30 and 6 a.m. The woman's neighbor spotted smoke and flames coming from her home and called 911.
When firefighters arrived at the home near 27th Street and McDowell Road, they immediately called in reinforcements. Flames had already torn through the back of the home and were making their way forward.
Crews were concerned that the extensive vegetation around the home might allow the fire to jump to nearby houses.
Firefighters helped the woman out of the home and then got down to business. They were able to quickly knock down the fire, containing the flames to the one house.
While they don't know what sparked the fire yet, investigators initially said they are going to take a close look at the heater. Firefighters say now that the nights are cooler, more and more people are firing up their heaters.
Investigators later told 3TV's Javier Soto that there's "more to this one."
The woman was not injured. In addition, three of her dogs made it safely out of the burning home. A fourth dog is missing.