Turtle aquarium sparks apartment fire in Mesa

Posted: Updated:

MESA, Ariz. -- Firefighters rescued several pets after a turtle aquarium sparked a fire at a Mesa apartment Thursday morning.

It happened at about 8:30 a.m. near Val Vista Drive and Baseline Road. According to firefighters, something from the aquarium, possibly a pump, apparently fell on the couch, causing it to start smoldering.

According to Capt. Forrest Smith of the Mesa Fire Department, it started with a call about quite a bit of smoke billowing from an apartment.

Crews said nobody was home at the time. Firefighters rescued two turtles, two dogs and a cat.

Smith said fires like this are not uncommon, which is why firefighters always advice people to check their equipment regularly and make sure outlets and power strips are not overloaded.

Crews were able to get things under control very quickly and minimize the damage.

Smith said investigators will be looking into the fire to determine exactly what happened.

No injuries were reported.