Weekend freeway construction in Phoenix areaPosted: Updated:
PHOENIX -- Freeway improvement work in the Phoenix area will require some closures this weekend. Westbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) is scheduled to be closed at Price Road in Chandler from late Friday night until Saturday evening for a new HOV lane project. Work also will be taking place along southbound Interstate 17 near the I-10 "Stack" interchange. The Arizona Department of Transportation recommends drivers consider alternate routes while the following restrictions are in place:
• Westbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) closed at Price Road in Chandler from 10 p.m. Friday to 8 p.m. Saturday (Sept. 25) for HOV lane construction. The westbound Loop 202 ramp to northbound Loop 101 will remain open. The east- and westbound Loop 202 on-ramps at Price Road closed at times. DETOUR: Consider alternate routes, including westbound US 60 (Superstition Freeway) while the Santan Freeway is closed.
• Westbound Loop 202 (Santan Freeway) narrowed to two lanes between Cooper Road and Loop 101 (Price Freeway) from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Sept. 27) for HOV lane construction. DETOUR: Please use caution in work zone. Consider alternate routes and allow extra travel time.
• Southbound Interstate 17 ramps to I-10 (both directions) at the "Stack" interchange south of McDowell Road closed from 11 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (Sept. 27) for widening work. Southbound I-17 on-ramp at Thomas Road and off-ramp at McDowell Road closed. DETOUR: Consider alternate routes, including southbound State Route 51 (Piestewa Freeway) to avoid slow traffic in work zone while accessing I-10 and downtown Phoenix area.
• Southbound Interstate 17 narrowed to one lane overnight between Thomas Road and the I-10 "Stack" interchange from 11 p.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Saturday (Sept. 25) and from 11 p.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. Monday (Sept. 27) for widening work. Southbound I-17 narrowed to two lanes in the same area from 8 a.m. Saturday to 11 p.m. Sunday (Sept. 26). DETOUR: Consider alternate routes to avoid slow traffic in work zone.
• State Route 87 narrowed to one lane in both directions within an ongoing improvement project work zone starting four miles north of the Bush Highway/Saguaro Lake Turnoff. Restrictions scheduled to be in place until May 2011. DETOUR: Please allow extra travel time, especially for southbound travel Sunday.
• Intersection of Beardsley Road and 83rd Avenue in Peoria closed or restricted from 6 a.m. Saturday to 3 p.m. Monday (Sept. 27) as part of project to connect Beardsley Road to Loop 101 (Agua Fria Freeway) frontage road. DETOUR: Use alternate routes, including Union Hills Drive and 91st Avenue.
For a complete list of highway and freeway restrictions across Arizona visit ADOT's Travel Information site at www.az511.gov or call 5-1-1. Sign up for ADOT e-mail updates, including weekend freeway restrictions, at www.azdot.gov.
ADOT plans and constructs new freeways, additional lanes and other major improvements as part of the 20-year Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) for the Maricopa County region. The primary funding source is a half-cent sales tax approved by county voters in 2004. More information about ADOT projects and the RTP is available at www.ValleyFreeways.com.