Penne with zucchini, walnuts & parmigiano-reggianoPosted: Updated:
Yield: 4 servings
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1-1/2 lb. zucchini, cut into matchsticks on a mandolin
2 cloves garlic
To taste Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces walnuts
½ lb. penne, cooked al dente. Reserve 2 cups of the cooking liquid
2 ea. anchovy fillets, chopped finely
1/3 cup basil leaves, torn
1/3 cup pecorino romano, grated
1. Place a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil, zucchini and garlic; season with salt and pepper and cook a few minutes until zucchini softens.
2. Meanwhile, bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add the walnuts and boil for a minute. Drain and toast for a few minutes in a 400 degree oven or in a dry sauté pan. Set aside.
3. Add the cooked pasta to the zucchini mixture along with 1/2 cup or so of the reserved pasta cooking liquid and warm through. Turn off the heat and stir in anchovies, and basil.
4. Crush the toasted walnuts with your hand or roughly chop; stir into the pasta along with a little bit of the cheese. Check seasoning and transfer to a serving platter.
5. Sprinkle remaining cheese over pasta and serve