Family asks for prayers after teen critically burned in Surprise

Posted: Updated:

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- A 14-year-old boy who was burned in an explosive grilling accident is fighting for his life.

On Monday, Oscar Fuentes was trying to get the coals going in the family barbecue and doused them with gasoline. The vapors from the gasoline caught fire and Oscar was severely burned.

Oscar suffered burns over most of his body and was taken to The Burn Center at Maricopa Medical Center where he is deeply sedated.

Dr. Kevin Foster said the next few days will be spent trying to keep the teen alive, saying Oscar is in extremely critical condition.

"It's 50-50 right now," Foster said. "This was a devastating burn and he's in critical condition right now and not anywhere near being out of the woods yet."

The teen's uncles say their faith and family unity are keeping them going as they struggle to deal with the horrible accident their nephew suffered.

The family is asking for prayers for Oscar's recovery.