Teen boy severely burned while trying to light grill for cookout dies

Posted: Updated:
By Alicia Barron By Alicia Barron

UPDATE: 3TV has learned Oscar Fuentes has died from the severe burns he suffered last week while trying to light a grill at his home.

SURPRISE, Ariz. - A 14-year-old boy was severely burned over 85 percent of his body Monday evening.

It happened as he was trying to light a portable charcoal grill outside a home in a rural area northwest of Surprise near 178th Avenue and Deer Valley Road.

3TV has learned Oscar Fuentes was making dinner and thought the coals on the grill were not burning fast enough so he doused the grill with gasoline.

A spokesperson with the Surprise Fire Department says that caused a fireball to hit the boy who then caught on fire.

His father was in the front yard. He reportedly ran to help his son and found him rolling around on the ground.

Oscar had to be sedated before being flown to the Maricopa Medical Center. He suffered life-threatening injuries and is listed in critical condition.