String of brake recalls in recent months; How to prevent dangerous situationsPosted: Updated:
During Brake Safety Awareness Week, more than 8,000 MAP Participating Facilities will offer inspections, educate vehicle owners regarding key undercar systems, provide complimentary automotive troubleshooting materials and answer consumers’ preventative maintenance questions. Consumers can look for a repair facility prominently displaying its “Motorist Assurance Program” decal near its entrance or customer waiting area, or they can find participating stores in a particular area by visiting the MAP website at www.motorist.org.
How to know when your brakes need checked out.
• I apply the brakes and the car shakes.
• The car makes a squeaking noise that stops when I apply the brakes.
• I have to push the brake pedal harder to stop than before.
• There is a squeaking noise made when the brakes are applied.
• The brake warning light is on.