Shrimp and Lobster Stuffed Poblano ChilesPosted: Updated:
2 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, diced
¼ cup sweet canned corn, drained
1 cup chopped zucchini, (cut into ½-inch pieces)
¼ cup thinly sliced Maui sweet onion
¼ cup julienne red bell pepper
4 large poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded, and sliced from the stem two-thirds down the chile
1 pound large shrimp (15 to 20 count) peeled, deveined, tail removed
2 ounces tequila
1 recipe Cilantro Cream Sauce (Page 92)
1 teaspoon cotija cheese
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (1 for garnish)
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium to high heat; add garlic, corn, zucchini, onions, and bell peppers. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture begins to caramelize.
2. Add the shrimp and cook an additional 3 minutes.
3. At this point add the tequila to the pan. While the pan is still over the open flame, tilt it to ignite the tequila (make sure your face is well clear of the pan, as the tequila will flambé while the alcohol cooks off). Continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, but do not overcook the shrimp.
4. Remove from the heat and cool for 2 minutes.
5. Using a tablespoon, stuff each chile equally with the shrimp mixture.
6. To serve, place a large pool of the cream sauce on one side. Place the stuffed chiles in the center of the pool and top with more cream sauce, cheese and cilantro. Serve with rice and beans.
Cilantro Cream Sauce
Makes 1½ cups
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 tablespoon flour
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
½ teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon salt
1. Melt the butter in a sauce pan, add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
2. Add the flour and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, to make a roux.
3. Add the cream and the milk and cook over low heat, whisking until all the ingredients are well blended, for about 5 minutes. Adjust the consistency as needed by adding one teaspoon of milk at a time. Add the cilantro, garlic salt, and salt and simmer over low heat for 5 to 7 minutes.
Serve over your favorite dish.